Thursday, February 9, 2012

Will I ever......

This post is to show you that sometimes the romantic images of owning a vineyard in the south of France just fly out of the fenêtre. 

Temperatures have been below zero for the past week and the wind has been howling a gale at over 90 miles an hour.  The wind chill factor is such that I can't stay in the vineyard for more than 10 minutes at a time before my fingers freeze off.  

But my man is out there pruning the 100 year old vines in La Petite Vigne.  He prunes a row and then shelters in the hedgerow amongst the boxwood and wild rosemary.  He is wearing three pairs of trousers, two pairs of socks and two hats.  I am sitting by the fire warming my toes thinking will I ever be a true vigneronne?

Arctic conditions in La Petite Vigne

Taking shelter in the hedge